WASABI Asian Cuisine
Address: 556 Sackville Drive Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Website: (no longer seems to work)
Date / Time Visited: 4:50PM to 6:40PM on 2 January 2014
Meals served: Lunch and Supper
Here are some of our thoughts (please listen to the podcast for a full description):
Ambiance / description of place:
- Chris – Nice Asian murals, Chinese lights, comfortable
- Margaret – Red / black / white / orange colours, not overwhelming, comfortable, neat & clean
Greeting / Reception:
- Chris – Friendly and courteous
- Margaret – Fine / pleasant
- Charlotte – Immediately sat down – no wait
- Chris – Reasonable, but better value the more you eat!
- Margaret – Hard to say – no comparison
- Charlotte – Reasonable, but better value the more you eat!
- Chris – Plenty of sushi, sashimi, tempura, etc.
- Margaret – A few non-sushi choices
- Charlotte – Lack of desert variety
Why we chose the menu items that we did:
- Chris – All you can eat sushi!
- Margaret – Because it wasn’t sushi!
- Charlotte – All you can eat sushi!
Smell / look / taste of the first course:
- Chris – Spicy tuna hand roll is nice – bottom had no rice (like ice cream cone)
- Chris – Rainbow roll very colourful
- Margaret – Miso soup – not a pleasing taste
- Charlotte – Alaska hand roll – good
- Charlotte – Mango cheese roll – amazingly amazing (her words!)
Smell / look / taste of the second course:
- Chris – Salmon dragon – pretty and tasty
- Chris – Deep fried California roll – tasty, but hard to get used to warm sushi
- Margaret – Green salad – had orange & ginger sauce
- Charlotte – Philly roll – no comment
- Charlotte – Dynamite roll – too spicy (but not for Chris…)
Smell / look / taste of the third course:
- Chris – Salmon pizza – possibly my new favourite non-traditional sushi dish. Crust was crunchy, the sauce very tasty and of course the salmon
- Chris – Banana yama roll – more of a desert sushi – good transition to final course. Habit of dipping in soya sauce – non-traditional taste pairing with banana.
- Margaret – Katsu-don (panko-crusted chicken cutlet , onion, egg & mushroom on rice) – chicken tastes nice, but the other stuff is bland or not to my taste
- Charlotte – California hand roll – no comment
- Charlotte – Tempura shrimp roll – no comment
Smell / look / taste of the fourth course:
- Chris – Banana tempura with chocolate ice cream – okay, but nothing to write home about. Disappointed that neither the green tea nor the black sesame ice cream were available (supplier issues)
- Margaret – I was expecting round slices
- Charlotte – Banana tempura with vanilla ice cream
Service / wait staff knowledge:
- Chris – Well timed (after course, enough time to re-look at menu)
- Margaret – Did not remember that I didn’t want ice in the iced tea, but she knew the drink from sight. Used to place with faster service, but ordering fresh takes time!
Overall dining experience:
- Chris – Really liked the freshness of the sushi. Presentation was exciting – looking at all of the meals being prepared and being placed on the counter (oooh – that looks good!). Great variety
- Margaret – First ones in, but by 6PM the place was pretty full. Need fork – don’t like taste / feel of wood chopsticks – ended up using a spoon. Not a place you would go to if you’re in a hurry.
Would you go again:
- Chris – Yes
- Margaret – Only with family members – would not come on my own (I don’t like sushi!)
- Charlotte – Yes