Leadership Is About Emotion by Meghan M. Biro at Forbes on 15 December 2013.
The author asks who you admire about leaders, and then to consider why that is – chances are that they affect you on an emotional level. She then offers some areas for leaders to develop their skills so that they can become an inspirational leader:
- Emotional intelligence – being able to understand people
- Continuous learning – making sure that you develop yourself
- Being able to contextualize
- Let go – don’t be a “helicopter manager”
- Honesty – people want to believe in their leaders
- Kindness and respect – there may be times that you may have to be unkind (e.g., a harsh review”), but is always done with respect.
- Collaboration – get people to buy in to your vision
- Partner with your people – help them develop to their potential