Five key leadership traits for 2014 by Joe Natale at The Globe & Mail on 2 January 2014.
The author is the Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer at Telus – he wrote this article on leadership traits as part of the Globe and Mail’s new Leadership Lab series. He presents five areas where leaders need to excel:
- The ability to zoom (being able to quickly go from the big picture, down to the details, and then back up to the big picture again)
- The ability to lead in a complex environment (ideas, challenges and opportunities come from all aspects of the business)
- An exceptional ability to communicate (it lets people know what is important, and it can be a power motivational tool)
- The ability to learn and to teach (there must be a thirst for constant knowledge, but there must also be a desire to impart that knowledge)
- Be authentic (we’ve seen this before – people can easily spot and disregard a phoney. If you lie about yourself, what else will you lie about?)